Our Finalists for the 2022 PEN America Literary Awards
PEN America has announced the finalists for its 2022 Literary Awards in the categories of debut fiction, nonfiction, essay, biography, poetry, science writing, and translation, plus the PEN/Jean Stein Book Award. Our shortlisted titles published by Penguin Random House imprints, and a Penguin Random House Publisher Services client publisher, are presented below.
PEN/Jean Stein Book Award
PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith Award for Nonfiction
- INVISIBLE CHILD: Poverty, Survival & Hope in an American City by Andrea Elliott (Random House)
- ALL THAT SHE CARRIED: The Journey of Ashley’s Sack, a Black Family’s Keepsake by Tiya Miles (Random House)
PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Prize for Biography
- THE GAMBLER WIFE: A True Story of Love, Risk, and the Woman Who Saved Dostoyevsky by Andrew D. Kaufman (Riverhead Books)
- ORWELL’S ROSES by Rebecca Solnit (Viking)
PEN/Hemingway Award for Debut Novel
- DETRANSITION, Baby: A Novel by Torrey Peters (One World)
PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize for Debut Short Story Collection
PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay
- A LITTLE DEVIL IN AMERICA: Notes in Praise of Black Performance by Hanif Abdurraqib (Random House)
PEN/E.O. Wilson Literary Science Writing Award
- LIFE’S EDGE: The Search for What It Means to Be Alive by Carl Zimmer (Dutton Books)
PEN/Voelker Award for Poetry
- MUTINY by Phillip B. Williams (Penguin Books)
PEN Award for Poetry in Translation
- EXHAUSTED ON THE CROSS by Najwan Darwish Translated from the Arabic by Kareem James Abu-Zeid (New York Review Books, a PRHPS client publisher)
To view the complete shortlists for 2022 PEN America Literary Awards, click here.
Congratulations to all of our finalists, their editors and publishers.
The 2022 PEN America Literary Awards will be announced at a ceremony at Manhattan’sTown Hall on February 28.