PRHPS Client Publishers Share Online Resources for Kids and Adults
During this very challenging time, it has been a joy to watch the book community come together online. From publishers making donations and raising awareness for how to help local indie bookstores to authors hosting virtual readings and book talks, there has been an incredible show of support. As we all know, book people are the best people, and this has been abundantly clear as publishers across Penguin Random House and Penguin Random House Publisher Services clients have gone above and beyond in providing resources for their readers.
While many PRHPS publishers have engaged with their communities online throughout these last few weeks—we’ve seen messages of solidarity on Instagram, suggestions for how to support local bookstores on Twitter, and useful collections of relevant news stories on websites—we would like to highlight a number of online resources and activities to help keep folks engaged and creative.
Resources for Kids, Teens, & Parents
PRHPS children’s publishers collectively offer an impressive compilation of resources for kids, teens, and parents while at home. Check out these great activity guides, downloads, and more:
- Boyds Mills & Kane has created a fantastic website page devoted to free activities, plus videos of authors and illustrators talking about their books.
- Charlesbridge has a great, alphabetized page of activities and downloads.
- Check out Highlights Kids’ stupendous YouTube channel, chock full of craft videos, “Did You Know …,” and jokes by kids, for kids!
- Holiday House has pages of reproducible activities and lessons for teachers, librarians, booksellers, and parents under their “Resources to Learn Remotely” website tab.
- Nobrow and Quirk both feature impressive downloadable resources and activities for kids and teens stick at home.
- Don’t miss Seven Stories’ Remote Story Time Series on Facebook. Plus, for the next 90 days, 10% of every purchase from their website will go to the Book Industry Charitable Fund (BINC) to support independent bookstores during the COVID-19 crisis! (Also check out Beacon’s similar match initiative for BINC!)
Adult Activities & Resources
We’ve noticed some wonderful resources for adults in need of activities and mindfulness as well.
- Explore America’s Test Kitchen’s at-home cooking recipes and articles.
- Check out Hay House’s page of free podcasts, books, and movies.
- For mindfulness support, turn to Parallax, North Atlantic, and Shambhala’s resources and titles for dealing with times of difficulty.
Thanks so much to our publishing community for keeping connection alive as we collectively social distance.